Easy “Snickers” Stuffed Date Recipe
As Halloween approaches, the allure of processed sugar indulgences fills the air, but it doesn’t have to spell disaster for your nutrition goals. Imagine savoring a delectable blend of what tastes like nougat and chocolate all while making choices that nourish your body and align with your well-being. That’s the Halloween spirit, reinvented through homemade Date “Snicker” bars with a focus on nutrition.
Dates: Yes really! Dates are the real nutrition power house in this treat! They are a good source of fiber (which plays a role in gut health), iron and antioxidants. Imagine antioxidants as the body superheroes. They swoop in to save our healthy cells from troublemakers called free radicals. Antioxidants bring balance and help keep our cells safe, just like real-life protectors! The walnuts and nut-butters provide healthy fats and protein to help keep us satiated.
Whether you’re an experienced kitchen witch, or beginner spell-caster in the world of cooking, this imitation snickers recipe is your incantation for a Halloween treat that’s as spell bounding as it is scrumptious.
Easy “Snicker” Stuffed Date Recipe
Servings: 12 Prep time: 20 minutes Total time: 30-35 minute
- 12 medjool dates, de-pitted
- ¼ cup peanut butter (or almond), divided
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts or almonds
- ¾ cup cups semi-dark chocolate chips, melted
- Use a small, sharp knife to cut a slit in each date, lengthwise and remove the pit.
- Fill each date with 1 teaspoon of desired nut butter and add a 1 teaspoon of chopped walnuts.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 second intervals. Stir chocolate in between each 30 seconds until the chocolate is
- Prepare a small baking sheet or plate lined with parchment.
- Place a toothpick through each stuffed date, dip into the melted chocolate and use a small spoon to help coat the stuffed date entirely. Allow excess to drip off.
- Transfer chocolate covered date to the plate or baking sheet.
- Place the tray of dates in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to set.
Storage: Once the chocolate is hardened, you can store the bars on top of each other without sticking in an airtight container. Store chocolate covered stuffed dates in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Healthy Regards, Cassandra RDN
Recipe adaptation by: https://feelgoodfoodie.net/recipe/date-snickers/#wprm-recipe-container-78037
Medical Advice Disclaimer: The information provided on this blog is for informational and educational purposes only. No material provided in this blog, including images and graphics, is intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider before making any dietary changes or starting a new health care regimen. Do not neglect professional advice because of what you may have read in this blog.
About the Author: Cassandra is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist. She graduated with a B.S in Nutritional Science with a concentration in Dietetics in from San Jose State University. Cassandra believes nutrition information, as it exists today, does not fully accommodate all cultural traditions and backgrounds. Cassandra’s goal is to work with individuals step-by-step to help them achieve their personal nutritional health and wellness goals. It is her passion to help individuals cultivate positive, sustainable healthy nutritional habits that they can carry with them throughout life.
References: “The Sweet Health Benefits of Dates.” Cleveland Clinic, 19 June 2023, https://health.clevelandclinic.org/benefits-of-dates/.